Employee Handbook

Exterior photo of the Outreach Building from Innovation Boulevard

Emergency Information

Automated External Defibrillator (AED)

AED Unit boxes are located on each floor of the Outreach Building.

  1. First Floor: Between the elevator and women’s bathroom
  2. Second Floor: By the men’s bathroom
  3. Third Floor: Between the elevator and women’s bathroom

Only trained responders (CPR/AED certified) should handle the AED Equipment.

Be advised that all 3 units are ARMED.  The alarm will sound if the AED cabinet door is opened.

Fire Extinguishers

There are many located throughout the building.  Each is in a cabinet inset into the wall.  Look for a silver door.

First Aid Kits

First Aid kits are available in rooms:  174, 238 copy/storage room, and the 2nd floor Ryan Community Room (lunch room)

Occupational Injury

IF you are hurt on the job, notify your supervisor immediately.  Then see Toni Irvin in the 238 Suite to complete the “Employer’s Report of Occupational Injury or Disease” form.

If medical attention is needed, you must go to Occupational Medicine (Suite 301, Centre Medical Sciences Building in front of the Mt. Nittany Medical Center; worker’s compensation will not cover treatment by other services unless you have seen the physicians at Occupational Medicine first.  If it is an emergency, please go straight to the hospital and notify your supervisor as soon as possible.


This policy provides procedures for reporting accidents resulting from work-related injuries, and in the investigation of all such accidents, including corrective measures to prevent recurrences.

Insurance Coverage

The University covers its employees with Worker’s Compensation Insurance as a protection for injuries or illness compensated under the Pennsylvania Worker’s Compensation Act.

Reporting the Accident

The following are a few general items to be remembered when an employee is injured:

  1. An accident report should be filed each time anyone is hurt, no matter how minor the injury may seem. Complete an “Employer’s Report of Occupational Injury or Disease” form.
  2. The accident should be reported whether the employee is full-time, part-time, casual or a student employee.
  3. If the employee is injured on the University Park Campus, the report should be submitted to the College or Department Safety Officer, who is to send the report to the Office of Human Resources/Workers’ Compensation, James M. Elliott Building, Room 312A within forty-eight hours of the accident.
  4. If the employee is injured elsewhere, the report should be in the Office of Human Resources/Workers’ Compensation as soon as possible.

Accident Report Forms

All injuries are reported on the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry form, Employer’s Report of Occupational Injury or Disease, a web-based electronic form accessed through the OHR – Workers’ Compensation website.

NOTE: This procedure should not be confused with emergency requests for aid and/or assistance to persons other than employees.

University’s Group Health Insurance

If the injury is covered by Worker’s Compensation Insurance, benefits are not provided by the University’s group health insurance. If the claim for Worker’s Compensation is denied, the injured employee should then submit a claim under the University’s group health insurance if he/she has incurred covered medical expenses.

Absence from Injury for Classifications other than Academic

For the determination of pay arrangements for time absent from work as a result of an injury or illness compensable under the Worker’s Compensation Act, the Occupational Disease Act, or similar legislation, see HR34, Employment Conditions for Staff Employees, or the applicable labor agreement for employees represented by a union.

Investigation of Accident

All accidents resulting in injury, regardless of severity, are to be investigated. Personnel conducting the investigation include the Safety Officer and the supervisor of the injured employee.

The Safety Officer is responsible to see that:

  1. Every accident occurring within his/her jurisdiction is investigated.
  2. Adequate information is obtained to determine the cause.
  3. Corrective measures are taken to prevent a recurrence.

The supervisor of the injured employee is responsible for:

  1. The immediate reporting and completion of the Employer’s Report of Occupational Injury or Disease form
  2. The installation of safety procedures to prevent similar accidents.

The Director of Environmental Health and Safety may conduct personal investigations, or be available for consultation by request of the appropriate Safety Officer.

WPSU Penn State Emergency Plan

In case of a fire alarm:

  • We will evacuate the building and meet in the parking lot behind 101 Lubert Building.
  • Supervisors are responsible for accounting for their staff.
  • Toni Irvin will bring a laptop that contains information that may be useful in an emergency.
  • In order to provide emergency personnel with accurate information, a head count will be taken to insure that all employees have safely evacuated.

In case of a weather emergency:

  • Everyone should report to the studio (except for those responsible for keeping the public informed).

In case of a regional or national emergency:

  • Everyone will be asked to report to the lobby where further instructions will be given (except for those responsible for keeping the public informed).
  • News feeds will be placed on the large TV monitors.

Emergency Contact Information Forms:

  • All new hires are asked to complete an annual online emergency contact form.
  • For your safety, it is important that this information is kept up-to-date.
  • Please be sure to contact your staff assistant or Toni Irvin if you have any changes to your emergency information.